Thursday, October 11, 2012

Not so cursed with girls!

A follow up to a post I left on facebook a few weeks ago.  I tutor for a family that has four girls.  I have only been tutoring one of them and periodically the other three appear as they come in and out doing homework and various things.  One of the first nights I tutored I was leaving and one of the younger girls was like, "Bye Tyler!" and I was like "goodbye!  I dont know your name but I should".  Well she got a little pouty face and I was like "Ill remember your name for next time" and she responded "I sure hope so".  Well, I grew up in a house that is mainly male.  Those of you that know Erika and Karissa know that they are extremely feminine.  They are very feminine in very different ways, we all have very individual very eclectic personalities.  Erika, Karissa, and my Mom instilled a love of fashion, shopping, country music and other such things on all us boys.  However, when we were growing up we all loved playing sports together.  The TVs in the house were mainly on sports channels and the girls had trouble fitting their shows in.  Our TV almost permanently sits with ESPN on, even when no one is watching it is on in the background.  I guess me learning how to read from the sports section of the newspaper had some sort of effect on all that.  I have always contended that when I get marry I know my wife is going to have girls.  I dont know how to deal with girls.  Ive been on bunches of first and second dates, but beyond that and into relationships I am completely in the dark when it comes to girls.  So I have always said, "One day I will be cursed with girls and then Ill learn".  Well getting back to the start of the story, being in a house full of girls tutoring has changed my outlook some.  While I realize I am not the parent of any of those girls, and I dont have to be around them incessantly I think they are awesome.  Do they fight because someone borrowed something without asking or for various other reasons.....yeah.  Do the teenagers have some extra sassyness and some things that would be tough to deal with...yeah.  The thing is though they are all so sweet.  Their sweetness blesses everyone.  As I went to leave today Caroline and Lauren the two youngest were hanging out by the front door.  I was like "Goodbye Caroline!  Goodbye Lauren!"  Lauren got a huge smile on her face and said, "Hey!  I remember your name too!  Goodbye Tyler!"  I left with a huge smile on my face and I feel stoked and blessed just to have had the opportunity to spend time around them.  Guess girls arent so much of a curse after all :).

1 comment: